In addition to the standard graduate student program requirements, the following NanoMat program requirements are mandatory for all trainees:
- Coursework – Completion of 2 interdisciplinary courses for NanoMat graduate students:
– Nanomaterials (CHEM 527)
– Nanomaterials Characterization (CHEM 521B)
– requires trainees to obtain hands-on training and experience on different pieces of instrumentation relevant to nanomaterials.
- Attendance at Seminar Course/Literature Discussion – monthly meetings
- Mentorship – Trainees are paired with a mentor from industry during their time in the program.
- Participation at NanoMat Retreats and Symposia
- Graduate Student Supervision of Undergraduate Students
- Professional Development Workshops – Examples of planned workshops for trainees include the following topics:
– Finding a Job
– Preparing Your Resume
– Leading by Example
– The Job Interview
– Writing a Research Paper
– Intellectual Property
- Internships – PhD students are required to undertake 3-8 month internships in a Canadian Company or research lab abroad.